tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Byrd" <john.b...@darkspell.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.1X seems broken on Linux
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:23:46 GMT
Good evening all. Excuse me if you've seen this issue before, but my
cursory search of the archives did not turn it up.

I have been using Tomcat for several years. Currently on my Linux box I
have versions 3.3.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, 4.1.3, 4.1.6 and 4.1.12.

They all work superbly except for the 4.1.x versions. I cannot get any
of those to start. They write to catalina.out a complaint that they're
experiencing a ClassNotFoundException w/r/t org.catalina.core.StandardServer

I'm certain that this is one of those annoying JVM messages that leads
you down the wrong path. The catalina.jar, which contains
StandardServer, is most definitely on the classpath.

My guess is that the error occurs in parsing some configuration file,
because the exception line is preceded by this line:
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw exception

If anyone has a clue as to the fix to this situation please let me know.
I'd like to move up from the 4.0.x level.
--
John Byrd
john.byrd@darkspell.com