tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <>
Subject Re: trouble with upgrade to a newer version of Tomcat
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:03:53 GMT

Here's how I've upgraded Tomcat in the past.  I
haven't done the 3.x to the 4.0.x in a very long time,
so I may not remember everything.

1. Copy all of your apps from %TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps to
another location.

2. Copy any customised configuration files (most
tomcat-users.xml) and the isapi dlls to another

3. Uninstall (Add/Remove Applications) Tomcat 3.x

4. If you used one of the freely available Java-->NT
services packages (I've used JavaService from,
then follow the instructions to remove that.

5. If there is any remaining cruft in %TOMCAT_HOME%,
delete it.

6. Install Tomcat 4.0.6 with the NT service. USE THE
SAME %TOMCAT_HOME%.  This way you won't have to change
environment variables or re-edit the registry.  You
shouldn't have to change your virtual directory
definitions either.

7. Copy your application back into

8. Back up the supplied,, tomcat-users.xml files and
replace them with yours.

9. Add the dlls back into place.

10. Restart everything, and it should all be there.

I did this when I moved from 4.0.5 to 4.1.12 and
everything came up roses.

I hope this helps.

just my two cents . . .

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>