tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kent Perrier <kperr...@ev1.net>
Subject Re: Strange differences in Apache/Tomcat configuration
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 17:47:15 GMT
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 04:18:25PM -0400, Turner, John wrote:

> Sorry, I'm fresh out of ideas.  It sure sounds like a permissions issue to
> me, but I can't say for sure without investigation.
>
> Let us know what it was when you get it resolved.

I don't have this solved, yet, but I am working on it.  Here is what I
have done.  I first tryed to access the tomcat instance with lynx locally
on my remote server.  I am getting a strange error here as well.  When I
attempt to go to http://localhost:8080/examples I get this error with
lynx: Alert! HTTP/1.1 400 No Host matches server name localhost

At first I thought that this might me an issue with iptables, but running
/etc/init.d/iptables stop has had no effect, which I did not think it would,
but I wanted to make sure.

Checking on my local sandbox, I see the same behavior with lynx, so I am
getting puzzled.  I do see that the DNS servers, that I have 0 control
over does not resolve localhost to 127.0.0.1.  Why the machine is not
going to the hosts file first, I don't know.  My /etc/nsswitch.conf
file has hosts:      files dns in it so it should go to the hosts file.

Oh well, the admin is the DNS server check into to.  Does anyone know
that if DNS is not operating correctly is there problems with Tomcat?

In order to move forward, I edited the server.xml file and removed the
address="localhost" from the connector defination for port 8080, but I
still cannot access /examples or /tomcat-docs...  The HTML returned
on port 8080 and looking in the packets I see that I am getting the
save server error 400 No host matches server name error.  Right now
I am assuming that this is a issue with the, IMO, misconfiguration
of the DNS server.

While I have not done an archive search on DNS issues with Tomcat, is
there a known issue with this?

Kent