tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Documentation
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:03:29 GMT

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Robert L Sowders wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:18:48 -0700
> From: Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Documentation
>
> I feel your pain John, frustration with poor documentation is always a big
> sore spot.  But let's not line them all up and shoot them just yet, ok.
> They still need to get Tomcat 5 out the door.  ,"-)
>
> We can only hope that Tomcat-dev (who is reading this list, I hope) will
> set up some sort of method where people can at least submit changes or
> updates or something better than what we have now.
>
> I've received at least 10 emails off-line and around 5 or so from the
> list, of people who have things to contribute.  We want to help, the
> question is, can something be done to move to a coordinated effort and who
> will do it.  I submit that it must be controlled and reviewed by the
> developers themselves.  They have access to the resources, we don't, and,
> they are the authorities on tomcat, they have to be the reviewing
> authority.
>
> I know it will take no small effort to set this up but allot could be
> cloned from the good example of the Apache Documentation Project.
>
> So, are there any developer types lurking out there.  We got some
> documentation help for you, do ya want it?

Sure!

>From the perspective of the developers, suggested changes to the
documentation (or proposed new documents) are treated exactly the same as
proposed bug fixes or enhancements to the code itself.  Therefore, the
best way to submit proposed changes is to create a bug report (or
enhancement request) in the bug tracking system:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

and then create a patch to the existing documentation files that reflects
the change you propose.  Details for how to create the "diff" files for
patches is available online starting at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

The existing Tomcat documentation can be found in the
"webapps/tomcat-docs" subdirectory of the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" CVS
repository.  Nearly all of it is in the form of XML files that are
post-processed through an XSLT stylesheet to produce the HTML that is
ultimately included in the "tomcat-docs" webapp, as well as posted online:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/

Changes to the menu bar on the left hand side would be made to the
"webapps/tomcat-docs/project.html" file.

General whines about how the documentation sucks will go to /dev/null.
Specific patches to add to (or fix) the existing documentation pages are
MUCH more likely to be effective :-).

> rls

Craig