tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: excessive cpu use with 4.0.4
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 08:23:23 GMT

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Seb B wrote:

[snip]
> Also, this has been asked already, but I didn't see many answers:
> is there any sort of real-world benchmark of what load I can
> expect in such a set-up ? I understand it depends a lot on what
> the servlets do, so I'm wondering how big the biggest sites using
> tomcat are; John Turner mentioned >500k for his, is anyone doing
> anything bigger ?

Sorry, but there is no such thing as a "real-world benchmark" that is an
appropriate predictor of what load any arbitrary web application can
support.  The only useful tests are to run ***your*** appolication under
varying loads, and keeping careful track of where the bottlenecks are.

For example ... if database access happens to be the critical resource for
your application, it doesn't matter much what you try to tweak on your
servlet configuration parameter, or the Tomcat installation that is
running them.  The most
important issue is to identify where the bottlenecks are for *your*
application, and optimizing the hot spots identified by that analysis.

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Seb

Craig