tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Johann Uhrmann <johann.uhrm...@xpecto.com>
Subject Using filters to authenticate users...
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:31:31 GMT
Hi,

what do You think about the following idea?
Is it possible at all:

I am looking for a way to build web applications that can
be used by logging in from a user/password HTML-form.

To do this, I would like to use the standard API which
would save me reimplementing the JDBC-Realm and Single-SignOn
features which already come with tomcat.

Is it possible to write a filter, which simply checks

- the login name
	Should be simple (request.getRemoteUser())

- in case there is no login name, the filter should read the
  parameters "username" and "password"...

- if there are values for this parameters, get an instance of
  org.apache.catalina.Realm and pass on the values to the
  authenticate method.
  Now, check if request.getRemoteUser() still returns null...

That should be simple except of getting the proper instance of
org.apache.catalina.Realm. Does someone know how to do that?

Thank You,

Hans