tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "S Alam" <s.ala...@westminster.ac.uk>
Subject plz help!!! simple test http://localhost:8080 fails why????
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:39:38 GMT
I have a JSP program running on tomcat webserver at home. This program works. At home the computer
accesses the internet via a dialup modem.

I am trying to run this program at another location. I have taken my hard disk and installed
the hard disk at the other computer. The other location is networked. It is running DHCP IP
addressing. When I run the program there it does not work????

Also when I run the tomcat test there i.e

http://localhost:8080

In the status bar I get
Website found. Waiting for reply ...
but after few minutes I get the error message below:
why???
Please help

>>From home I ran the program as
http://localhost:8080/myJSPs/jsp/portal-project/preferences.jsp

this works perfectly.

At the other location I am trying the typing the same address in the address bar of IE6:

http://localhost:8080/myJSPs/jsp/portal-project/preferences.jsp

But it gives me the message in the status bar:

"Website found. Waiting for reply ... "
but after few minutes I get the error message below:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing
technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local
area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and
automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet
Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the
Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Please help why does this happen???