tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shawn Church" <>
Subject Tomcat 4.1.12 unpackWARs
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:23:20 GMT
I found some hint of this in past archives, and am wondering if this is a
bug or if I am missing something.

The following will not unpack a .war file existing in the appBase directory.
Tomcat processes will start and then quickly die because according to the
log messages generated, the docBase directory doesn't (yet) exist, which is
true since the .war didn't first expand:

  <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
          name="Tomcat-Apache Engine" debug="0">

  <Host name="localhost" debug="9" appBase="webapps" autoDeploy="true"

     <Context path="/testapp" docBase="testapp" reloadable="true"
privileged="true" debug="1" />

It will unpack correctly if no context is specified, and it will work as
shown above if the docBase directory is already unpacked.  This will also
work if I set unpackWARs to "false", and the docBase to the war file, but I
really need the war to be expanded in this case.

Is there a work-around for this behavior, other than manually unpacking?  My
environment is SuSE Linux 8.0, Apache 1.3.26, Tomcat 4.1.12.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message