tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bruce W. Perry" <brucewpe...@attbi.com>
Subject top-level mappings
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:16:14 GMT
hello all,

  I wondered if someone could clarify the role of the top-level deployment
descriptor ( Tomcat4.0/conf/web.xml , given that Tomcat4.0 is the Tomcat
installation directory), or tell me if this is inaccurate. When Tomcat
starts up, it first establishes default servlet mappings from
Tomcat4.0/conf/web.xml for all web applications loaded into that Tomcat
instance, such as the "invoker" servlet. Individual deplyment descriptors
from other web applications cannot use the same servlet names, such as
"invoker." However, you can override the url-patterns mapped to those
default servlets, and your own url-patterns (such as
<url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>) will supercede the default patterns.
Is this correct? thanks,

Bruce P