tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "john" <j...@riskdecisions.com>
Subject RE: Connection pool DBCP
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:04:28 GMT
I don't know about the particular connection pool you are using, but in
general I believe the mechanism would be similar to that implemented by
Sybase's Jaguar ejb/servlet engine.  There a "sanity check" is run on each
connection after it has been returned to the pool and before it is re-used.
For Sybase it's "select 1 from dummy", for Oracle it could be "Select 1 from
dual".  If the database had been restarted then the cached connection would
fail its sanity check and would be released and replaced by a new
connection.  I don't know of any other database independent way of doing
this.

Best Wishes
John Burgess
john@riskdecisions.com
Tel: 01865 718666
Fax: 01865 718600

-----Original Message-----
From: lauradiara@libero.it [mailto:lauradiara@libero.it]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 4:38 PM
To: tomcat-user
Subject: Connection pool DBCP

I have been seen that nobody is able to answer to this question, I
presume it's interesting for anybody, for a few days.

I wish I knew if DBCP is able to find when db is restarted and
reconnect.

I'd like to use the jakarta instrument DBCP because all the products of
the jakarta community are very good, but the main point is to know if
DBCP can recconect to DB lonely.

Can some answer to this question?

Thanks

Laura