tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Apache + Tomcat multiple instances
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:13:17 GMT

I'd think you'd need 2 logs directories as well.

> So it looks like 2 installations of Tomcat on one machine.
> To run the instances, I modified the "catalina.bat" to execute 2 commands
> "java.exe ....".
>
> My questions are :
> 	Does another solution exist to run Tomcat in multiple instance? I think (1
> server.xml which contains 2 services for exemple).
> 	Does one service correspond to one instance?
>       Are we obliged to create 2 webapps directory in my case?

I think that if you really want/need two separate instances, what you
have is the way to go.  It may seem wasteful, but it isn't really,
because all the stuff that can be shared, is shared (e.g. bin,
classes, common, lib, server).  All of the other stuff (e.g. the
directories listed above) are particular to a tomcat instance.

Now, it may be that what you want/need to do doesn't require two
instances, but you haven't said anything about that, so we really
can't comment on that.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)