tomcat-users mailing list archives

From rseque...@transentric.com
Subject RE: Can someone PLEASE tell me why tomcat uses so much CPU???
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:13:41 GMT

I'm no Linux guru. But did you try running Tomcat with the classic JVM?
With "-client", "-server" or "-hotspot" I think there are many process that
are started. And if your code opens underlying sockets, etc, it takes more
processes which I believe remain hanging. If you run Tomcat with "
-classic", only one JVM is started.
Hope this helps. Note that JDK 1.4.x doesn't support the "-classic".

RS

                      "Brandon Cruz"

                      <bcruz@norvax.com        To:       "Tomcat Users List"

                      >                         <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      09/30/02 04:09 PM        Subject:  RE: Can someone PLEASE tell me why
tomcat uses so
                      Please respond to         much CPU???

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Mike,

Thanks for answering.

I'm using Sun's JDK 1.3.1_01.

We have been running this in production for over year and I think we have
always had the problem.  Since 3.2.4 requires restart whenever a web
application is changed, it used to just get restarted often enough so that
nobody ever noticed.  There are enough people using the application now
that
it is becoming more and more noticable.  I'm afraid that we are getting
close to a point where it will be necessary to restart tomcat every day.
It
also slowly increases the amount of RAM it uses, but that's a whole
different story and I just want to find out one answer at a time.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a resolution to the problem?  I
have seen many posts but no answers...