tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Stage" <sta...@sixt.de>
Subject AW: line feeds in response
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:55:47 GMT
Thanks.

Alex

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: RSEQUEIRA@TRANSENTRIC.COM [mailto:RSEQUEIRA@TRANSENTRIC.COM]
Gesendet: Montag, 9. September 2002 23:42
An: Tomcat Users List
Betreff: Re: line feeds in response

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago. I had to remove the <@ page
directive > at the start of the jsp page for this to work. That is for the
3 junk chars to stop showing up. I didn't have time to figure out why this
happens. We were migrating from JRun to Tomcat. From servletx to jsps.
I don't know what parser you use. I use xerces to parse the document. And
it works fine w/ or w/o the 3 chars. I convert XML to HTML, etc. But if you
have a homegrown parser (that uses some publicly available parser
underneath), you might need to start looking for the xml start tag (<xml
version.../>). One of our developers who was parsing the xml discovered
that the xml he was getting contained those 3 chars. I suppose he was
reading char-by-char instead of looking for the starting xml tag. Note, IE
doesn't care about the 3 chars. It's displays the xml document w/ or w/o
the 3 chars.
Hope this helps.

RS

                      "Alexander Stage"
                      <stagea@sixt.de>         To:       "Tomcat Users List"

<tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
                      09/09/02 10:43 AM        cc:
                      Please respond to        Subject:  line feeds in
response
                      "Tomcat Users
                      List"

Hi all,

got the following problem:

I'm generating xml with jsps. Before I write out any response, I'm using
out.clearBuffer() to
clear anything from the output buffer in order not to write out new lines
etc.
However, this doesn't seem to work. I always get 3 line feeds before the
xml
starts, which
causes most parsers to fail parsing that xml.
I was wondering wether this is caused by the dispatcher mechanism I'm
using:

RequestDispatcher dispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher(jspUrl);
dispatcher.forward(request,response);

since the resulting servlet code for the jsp begins output without any line
feeds, so this problem can't have it's origin the jsp. The generated source
code is:

// begin [file="/includeHeader.jsp";from=(0,2);to=(0,15)]
   out.clearBuffer();
// end
// HTML // begin [file="/includeHeader.jsp";from=(0,17);to=(1,0)]
   out.write("<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>\n");

I tried to use also the clear() method in the out object, also reset(),
resetBuffer() in HttpServletResponse,
with the same results. The line feeds are always outputted before the "
<?xml
version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>\n" String.

I'm running jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-LE-jdk14 on nt 4.0.

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

For additional commands, e-mail: <