tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Soefara Redzuan" <soefararedz...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Running XML-parsing servlets on Tomcat, using JAXP ?
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:20:08 GMT
>>I'd still like to keep jaxp installed on my machine for other
>>java applications. This won't affect Tomcat at all, will it ?
>
>NO, It should not, I recommend you do not place the jar file in your
>classpath. We never know...

I tried removing the jars from the classpath but it made no
difference, as we all pretty much expected in any case.

I'm using Tomcat4.0.x and JDK1.3

I found that <tomcat_home>/common/lib/crimson.jar also included
a org.xml.sax library, so I removed crimson.jar.  Still, the
errors persisted.

Here is what I have on my system,

<tomcat_home>/common/lib contains
---------------------------------
activation.jar
dom.jar
jaxp-api.jar
jdbc2_0_stdext.jar
jndi.jar
jta.jar
ldap.jar
mail.jar
mysql.jar
naming-common.jar
naming-resources.jar
sax.jar
servlet.jar
tools.jar
tyrex-0.9.7.0.jar
xalan.jar
xercesImpl.jar
xsltc.jar

(none of those seem to have any clashing xml libraries)

<tomcat_home>/lib contains
--------------------------
jasper-runtime.jar
naming-factory.jar

But now I think I've found the culprit - Jasper !

<tomcat_home>/jasper contains
-----------------------------
crimson.jar
jasper-compiler.jar
jaxp.jar

who or what is Jasper ? I don't wish to remove something that is
core to Tomcat functionality, but I think that crimson.jar and
jaxp.jar may be clashing with xercesImpl.jar and jaxp-api.jar
in <tomcat_home>/common/lib.

Does anybody know how I should handle this ?

I really would just upgrade to the latest version of
Tomcat and JDK1.4 but my production servers are running
JDK1.3 and Tomcat 4.0 so I can't take that risk at the moment.
So many changes, so little time.

Thank you in advance,

Soefara.