tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "mike markovich" <mikemarkov...@amyskitchen.net>
Subject An effective approach for deploying a servlet?
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:18:55 GMT
Hi All,

Yesterday I posted a question to this list under "How to deploy servlets".  I have things
working now and the steps I followed to get things working are outlined below. I would appreciate
comments on my approach because I seem to revisit this issue over and over and I'm not confident
that the approach I used contains all of the necessary steps.

Here are the steps I followed to deploy and execute a simple "Hello" servlet in Tomcat 4.0.4:

1)  Created a servlet name "HelloWorld" in package "hello".
2)  Created a jar containing "hello.HelloWorld.class" named "test.jar".
3)  Created a directory in webapps named "test".
4)  In "test" created the "WEB-INF" directory.
5)  Inside the "WEB-INF" directory created "web.xml".
6)  In "web.xml" added the following to define the servlet:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>hello.HelloWorld</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

7)  Created the "lib" directory under "WEB-INF".
6)  Moved "test.jar" to the lib directory under "WEB-INF".
8)  Started Tomcat and browsed to the servlet using "http://localhost:8080/test/servlet/hello"
9)  Incredibly, the browser displayed "Hello World".

I know there are other ways to accomplish the same thing, i.e., war files or placing my classes
in the "classes" directory, but this approach works best for the types of projects I am working
on.  Also, yesterday Jacob Kjome indicated that the
the default servlet invoker is disabled by default in more recent versions of Tomcat.  I would
appreciate hearing any thoughts as whether or not this will have any impact on the approach
outlined above.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Mike