tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: AW: Copious Connectors Conundrum
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:56:33 GMT

Hmmm...that doesn't make much sense to me.  Why is there a definition for an
AJP13 connector in 4.1.10 server.xml, using
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector, if
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector does the same thing?

Are you very familiar with the connectors?  There seems to be a lot of
misinformation regarding the connectors...I know I have a bunch of questions
that no one seems to be able to answer.  For example, is it necessary to
build "both sides" of the connector when building from source for Tomcat
4.0.4?  What does "both sides" mean?  What does each "side" do exactly?  Are
the connectors now part of the Tomcat project, or are they still off on
their own?  What did you mean that the "binary side" is considered "beta"?
What is the "binary side"?

It would be great if someone, somewhere, could post a thorough explanation
of the connectors.  It's a pretty important area for those of us running
serious production environments, and it would be helpful to see some
resources targeted towards that audience rather than the
single-developer-on-Windows-98/2K/XP-desktop audience.  I've been through
all of the new JK2 documentation, and it leaves me with more questions than
it answers.  I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to do whatever it takes to
facilitate getting information out to the people who can use it right away
in production.

John