tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bryant, William" <mbry...@c-cor.net>
Subject RE: Documentation
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:49:52 GMT
Great idea.  It has been attempted before, in the form of the "Hitch-hiker's
Guide to Tomcat", http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomcatbook.   That project
is essentially dead, however.  I completely agree with you that something
like this would be a wonderful asset to the Tomcat community.

... Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert L Sowders [mailto:rsowders@usgs.gov]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 5:01 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Documentation

Since most of the questions to tomcat-users list concern installation and
configuration issues it demonstrates that there is a real need for Tomcat
to have a "documentation project" that it's users can contribute to. Right
now most of the documentation consists of the xdocs which are pretty good,
but can be so much more.  The developers obviously have little time to
maintain the present documentation and there is such an apparent need that
I wonder why a project for the documentation has not been started.

There are many "doc-projects" out there to emulate.  I especially like the
one that the apache folks have running, the new xml documentation for
Apache 2.0 is probably the best I've seen.

I'm sure that many people would be willing to devote some time to
organizing and maintaining input from the community into a resource that
would benefit everyone.  I for one would be willing to contribute, but
right now there is nothing an nowhere to submit to.

Should the developers of Tomcat initiate a project for the documentation?
Or should we?  The Apache folks seem to have solved this issue, it remains
to be solved for Tomcat.

Have a look at some examples of opensouce projects which have solved their
documentation problems:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/
http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/