tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JSP working but Servlets not working
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:49:57 GMT

Notice your form action:

<form action="/HelloWorldExample" method=post>

You prefixed it with a "/" meaning that it looks for your servlet from the
root of the web.  Since your context is not the root of the web, the
message you got is exactly what I would expect.  To be correct, here is
what you would do:

<form action="/kithany/HelloWorldExample" method=post>

Further, that will still not work because you have only defined your
servlet in the web.xml.  You have not yet provided a mapping for it.  For
defined servlets without mappings, Tomcat provides a default servlet
invoker at the path /yourcontext/servlet/*.  So, to make this really work,
you would use:

<form action="/kithany/servlet/HelloWorldExample" method=post>

Also, you don't necessarily need to have the <servlet-name> be the same as
the <servlet-class>.  I would provide a simpler name such as:

<servlet>
       <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
       <servlet-class>HelloWorldExample</servlet-class>
</servlet>

Now, you can actually access your servlet in two ways.  The one above or:

<form action="/kithany/servlet/hello" method=post>

Better yet, provide a servlet-mapping such as:

<servlet-mapping>
         <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
         <url-pattern>/hi</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Now you can access it via:

<form action="/kithany/hi" method=post>

This is all pretty basic stuff.  You should take a look at a book like
Jason Hunter's Java Servlet Programming, Second Edition.  It will provide
you with all you need to get a base understanding of servlets.  Then you
can concentrate on the really tough questions.

Hope that helped.

Jake