tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject HttpServletResponse question...
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:38:32 GMT

I am trying out an XSLT filter in one of the JDCTechTips:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2001/tt0626.html

The setContentType() is overridden in the response wrapper.  The way they
have it set up, though, seems to assume that this method will get called
automatically since there is no place in the filter that they specifically
call wrapper.setContentType().  The thing is, setContentType() never gets
called automatically in Tomcat-4.1.10.

Is the creator of this filter just making an incorrect assumption or is
Tomcat being buggy by not automatically calling setContentType() on the
wrapper when filterChain.doFilter(request, wrappedHResponse); is called?

The only way I can make this filter work is if I specifically call
wrappedHResponse.setContentType("text/xml"); before
filterChain.doFilter(request, wrappedHResponse);.  Should I have to do
this?  If so, why didn't the original author do it?  If Tomcat is doing the
right thing, then the developer who created this example must never have
tested it because it won't work until that call is specifically made.

Can anyone tell me who is right here?

Jake