tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: deploying war file and "Document base ... does not exist"
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:09:52 GMT

Hmm.. .That's not even close to accurate.

Daniel is using a Context Configuration File which may contain a <Context
... > element and make it so you don't have to modify the server.xml.  As
far as the unwarring, Tomcat actualy will "not* automatically expand
webapps which have a defined context element.  This is by design although
some might consider it a bug.

There are 3 solutions:

1. in the <Context ...> element, point directly to the .war file as the docBase

2. expand the .war file yourself before starting Tomcat and point to the
expanded directory in the docBase

3. Don't put your app inside $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps and use the install or
deploy task to dynamically deploy your app.  This can be done through the
ant tasks using something like....

<install
             url="${manager.url}"
             username="${manager.username}"
             password="${manager.password}"
             path="${app.path}"
             war="file://${build.home}/WEB-INF/myapp.xml" />

myapp.xml would have a <Context .... docBase="../"> or something like that
pointing to the base of the webapp.  Note that I have *not* gotten this to
work on Windows.  Craig R. McClanahan says it works for him on Linux.  This
is the ideal solution, so if it works for you, I would use this one....and
if you get it to work on Windows, please tell me which version of Tomcat
you succeeded on and describe what you did to make it work.

later,

Jake