tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nicholas Orr <Nicholas....@mim.com.au>
Subject RE: TC4.1.10: Can't install new app directly from GUI
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 04:17:22 GMT
Hi,

I haven't used the gui manager but I have noticed that in your:
WAR URL:
file:/c:/cygwin/home/dmkarr/java/struts-el/dist/webapps/exercise-taglib

You are using file:/ instead of file:/// which is required.
You see:
"java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:".

Means it didn't find http://, ftp:// file:/// which are the valid protocols,
there may be more but these are the main ones.

Hope this helps,

Nicholas Orr

-----Original Message-----
From: dmkarr@earthlink.net [mailto:dmkarr@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 3 September 2002 2:13 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: TC4.1.10: Can't install new app directly from GUI

I very recently upgraded from TC 4.0.4 to TC 4.1.10.  I hadn't looked at the
manager app before (I don't know when it became a reality).  It looks quite
convenient.

It is very nice once I get an application installed.  Then, I can just
reload and rerun the app without restarting TC.  It appears that you can
only do a Reload when you've installed a non-WAR (exploded directory).  This
is fine, but what I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to install a
new app directly from the GUI.  I've been able to do it through the browser
URL api, but not from the GUI.  I don't see any documentation on how to use
the Manager GUI, although most of it is pretty self-explanatory.

In the "Install:" box, there are three fields:

1. Path       - I would guess this would be the context root for the
application
2. Config URL - I'm not certain what this would be
3. WAR URL    - I would assume this is the path to the WAR or to the root of
                the exploded directory.

So, I would figure that I would enter the following values and click
"Install" (the two non-null values are exactly the values I used on the URL
api):

Config URL:     <blank>
WAR URL:
file:/c:/cygwin/home/dmkarr/java/struts-el/dist/webapps/exercise-taglib

When I click Install, I get "FAIL - Encountered exception
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:".

One other annoying aspect of this is that once you get the error, it blows
away the field values.  I would guess that if I had mistyped one character
in a long URL, it would fail with some sort of a "not found" error, and make
me start over.  In addition, it might make it friendlier if the field widths
were wider (perhaps one per line?).

For additional commands, e-mail:

intended only for the use of the addressee(s).
If you receive this e-mail in error, any use, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is not permitted. You are requested to
forward unwanted e-mail and address any problems to the
MIM Holdings Limited Support Centre.

For general enquires:	++61 7 3833 8000
Support Centre e-mail:	supportcentre@mim.com.au
Support Centre phone:  	Australia 1800500646
        				International ++61 7 38338042