tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Price <>
Subject code separation with apache virtual hosts <-> tomcat hosts
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:02:39 GMT

	I have a system running Apache 1.3.26, mod_jk and Tomcat 4.1.12.

	Apache has a number of name-based virtual hosts confgured, of which 2
are setup to route jsp and servlet requests to a ajp13 connector (called
'ajp13'). ajp13 is setup to use a single tomcat instance running on
localhost at port 8009. Tomcat itself is setup with seperate <Host ...>
</Host> for each of the two corresponding front-end apache virtual

	My Question;

	What kind of code seperation does the Tomcat <Host..></Host> facility

	In other words; what (if any) kind of safety and security mechanisms
exist to ensure that code running under <Host ...></Host>
from <Host ...></Host>

	I found the following excerpt in the Tomcat 3.2 doumentation;

"We want different virtual hosts served by different Tomcat processes to
provide a clear separation between sites belonging to different

	Can anyone explain what this means?

	Cheers & TIA

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>