tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: &nbsp; appears as ?'s
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:44:50 GMT

Dr A.C. Marshall wrote:

>Folks
>
>I have just switched from JServ to Tomcat - My servelt reads XML files ,
>transforms them nad waps them out to the browser. Virtually everything works
>fine except my &#160;'s (non-breakable spaces) get auto-translated by the
>xerces parser to question marks. In other words by the time I use the
>
>	characters(char [], int, int)
>
>method, all references to &#160; have been changed to ?'s! (The &nbsp;
>entity is defined in xhtml-lat1.ent.)
>
>I assume that this must be a very common problem with an equally simple
>solution, its just that I cant find any mention of it ! I assume it is
>tomcat related as xerces worked fine with JServ. I guess there could be
>an issue with the JDK as jserv uses jdk 1.1 and my tomcat installation
>used jdk 1.4 - but you'd expect 1.4 to handle everything that 1.1 did.

By default, jdk 1.4 use Crimson as the XML parser. Which version of
Tomcat are you using? If you are using 4.0.x, for sure Crimson will be
used. If 4.1.x, check to see if xercesImpl.jar is under
/common/endorsed/.Download the latest Xerces jars and put it there. Your
problem should disappear.

-- Jeanfrancois