tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Walding <...@walding.com>
Subject Re: How to use Port 80?
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:38:01 GMT
You don't want to change /etc/services as it is simply a directory of
mappings between well known service names and ports.

Tomcat runs as the user tomcat4 on RedHat 7.x.  This user is unable to
bind to port 80.  People have had success with changing the user to
root, but this is generally considered a bad way of doing things.
 You'll want to check the mail archives as this has been discussed quite
a bit.