tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Holman <j.g.hol...@qmul.ac.uk>
Subject Re: JNDIRealm and upper and lower case username
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:00:51 GMT
I think this is really a directory issue. Many LDAP attributes (e.g.
uid, cn, ou, c) are defined by the relevant LDAP schema to be
case-insensitive. For example, uid=rune,o=mycompany and
uid=Rune,o=mycompany are just two ways of representing the same
distinguished name; a search for uid=Rune will find the same entries as
one for uid=rune.

In theory, you could choose an LDAP attribute that is case-sensitive to
hold the username (you might have to define a suitable attribute).
However, note that with OpenLDAP 2.0.x the matching rule for attributes
values is ignored when comparing DNs, so that probably still won't work.
This problem is said to be fixed in 2.1.x.

John.