tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kwok Peng Tuck <pengt...@makmal.com>
Subject Re: Running XML-parsing servlets on Tomcat, using JAXP ?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:58:30 GMT
Let me know how it went. I'm curious that the java xml pack had
instructions for that. Well I suppose they have tested it, so I guess it
is harmless.
Anyway like you said, you can always bundle the java xml pack under its
own webapp.

Soefara Redzuan wrote:

>> From: Kwok Peng Tuck <pengtuck@makmal.com>
>> Hmm, how did you get a jasper directory under the tomcat root ?
>

> That's where it is in Tomcat4.0.x under Windows 2000, at
> least the version that I downloaded and installed.
>
>> I checked my tomcat installation in Win2K & I didn't see anything
>> like this.
>

> Perhaps you have a different version to me. It seems that
> the libraries shipped with Tomcat4 are changing a lot.
>
>> Your /common/lib seems to have a lot more than the standard libraries
>> that
>> shipped with it, I 've got :
>>            a) activation.jar
>>            b) jdbc2_0-stdex.jar
>>            c) jndi.jar
>>            d) jta-spec1_0_1.jar
>>            e) mail.jar
>>            f) naming-common.jar
>>            g) naming-resource.jar
>>            h) servlet.jar
>>            i) tools.jar
>>            j) tyrex.license
>>            k) tyrex-0.9.7.0.jar
>>            l) xerces.jar
>

> Well, in my version I had crimson.jar and not xerces.jar.
>
>> How did dom.jar , xalan.jar, mysql.jar end up there ?
>

> dom.jar and xalan.jar are part of the Java XML pack, along with
> xercesImpl.jar, sax.jar, jaxp-api.jar and xsltc.jar. The Java XML
> Pack says to put them in <tomcat_home>/common/lib
>
> In your case, I think they would require you to remove xerces.jar
>

>> Generally if you wish to use any other jar(s) you put them in
>> {webapps root} /WEB-INF/lib .
>

> That's true, but for libraries that you're going to use amongst
> all webapps (eg. mysql.jar in my case), then you can also put them
> in <tomcat_home>/common/lib
>
> However, I do think I'll try what you said - put the libraries in
> /webapps/<webapp name>/WEB-INF/lib and see if that helps. Will
> let you know.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Soefara.

>>> I tried removing the jars from the classpath but it made no
>>> difference, as we all pretty much expected in any case.
>>>
>>> I'm using Tomcat4.0.x and JDK1.3
>>>
>>> I found that <tomcat_home>/common/lib/crimson.jar also included
>>> a org.xml.sax library, so I removed crimson.jar.  Still, the
>>> errors persisted.
>>>
>>> Here is what I have on my system,
>>>
>>> <tomcat_home>/common/lib contains
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> activation.jar
>>> dom.jar
>>> jaxp-api.jar
>>> jdbc2_0_stdext.jar
>>> jndi.jar
>>> jta.jar
>>> ldap.jar
>>> mail.jar
>>> mysql.jar
>>> naming-common.jar
>>> naming-resources.jar
>>> sax.jar
>>> servlet.jar
>>> tools.jar
>>> tyrex-0.9.7.0.jar
>>> xalan.jar
>>> xercesImpl.jar
>>> xsltc.jar
>>>
>>> (none of those seem to have any clashing xml libraries)
>>>
>>> <tomcat_home>/lib contains
>>> jasper-runtime.jar
>>> naming-factory.jar
>>>
>>> But now I think I've found the culprit - Jasper !
>>>

>>> <tomcat_home>/jasper contains
>>> crimson.jar
>>> jasper-compiler.jar