tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ole Lambæk <...@lambaek.net>
Subject Component class problem
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:18:33 GMT
Hello,

I'm developing a small web application on jakarta-tomcat 4.0.4, where I
have a class named Component located in a package called test, with a
single method "public String getData()".

I wan't to use this class in a JSP with <jsp:useBean id="comp"
scope="request" class="test.component" /> and retrive data with
<jsp:getProperty name="comp"  property="data" /> but tomcat (jasper to
be more precise) doesn't make the page into a servlet the error is:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Cannot find any information on
property 'data' in a bean of type 'test.Component'

If I change the getProperty to <jsp:getProperty name="comp"
property="name" /> then jasper makes the servlet sourcecode which
ofcourse cannot compile, because there is no getName() in test.Component
but java.awt.Component has one ... For me it looks like jasper
recognizes test.Component as java.awt.Component when it makes the JSP
into a servlet.
If I change the name of test.Component to test.component (small c versus
large C) then it works like I want it to ...
I have also tested this in Caucho Resin 2.1.4, where it works like it
should, both with a small and a large c in Component...

Is this a bug, or is the Component name for a class a reserved word in
the JSP / Servlet specification ?!

Regards
Ole Lambæk