tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: TOMCAT 4.1.0 and JIKES
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:47:31 GMT
christophe.baroin@jpservices.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use Jikes with Tomcat.
> There is in the documentation of Tomcat:
>
> If you wish to use Jikes to compile JSP pages:
> Download and install jikes.
> Set the init parameter compiler to jikes.
> Define the property -Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true when starting Tomcat.
> If you get an error reporting that jikes can't use UTF8 encoding, try
> setting the init parameter javaEncoding to ISO-8859-1.
>
> I thus downloaded Jikes 1.16 at IBM
> I added it to the CLASSPATH
>
> Then, in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml  I added these lines:
>                     <servlet>
>         <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
>  <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>jspCompilerPlugin</param-name>
>  <param-value>org.apache.jasper.compiler.JikesJavaCompiler</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
>             <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
>     </servlet>

The documentation in the Tomcat 4.1.10 CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml is wrong.
Jasper 2 in Tomcat 4 no longer uses the "jspCompilerPlugin" init parameter.
You must use the "compiler" init parameter and set it to "jikes".

> After I do not understand documentation:
> Define the property -Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true when starting Tomcat.

Add "-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true" to your CATALINA_OPTS env variable.
This changes how jikes outputs error message so that Jasper can tell you
what line number in your JSP the error occurred in.

> If you get an error reporting that jikes can't use UTF8 encoding, try
> setting the init parameter javaEncoding to ISO-8859-1.

The new documentation on the jakarta site for Jasper is written based on
the current source in CVS.  There was a bug in the Tomcat 4.1.10 release
and Jasper 2 which caused it to not use the javaEncoding you set in the
init paramter. If you are having problems with jikes and encoding you
will either have to use the nightly Tomcat 4.1.x build or wait for the
next Tomcat 4.1.11 release.