tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Walding <...@walding.com>
Subject Replacement 401 pages
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:51:32 GMT
Greetings all,
Maybe someone can answer the following conundrum for me!

I've replaced my 401 page with a servlet reference using the error-page
section of the web.xml. I'd like the servlet to display different
content based on what was accessed. At present I have to use javascript
(document.location.href) to do this at the client end.   Surely there is
a better way!?!

The servlet "works" and forces authentication (once I'd added a Realm
header and 401 status code), however I can't detect the cause of the
authentication in the authentication page servlet ("I" know what
resource caused the authentication page to be called, but the servlet
doesn't seem to have any simple way to determine this). All I need is a
header being passed in on the request object, but if there is a spec
defined way to do this... I'm all ears...

Since it isn't using a redirect (just some internal shenanigan), there
doesn't seem to be any headers to help me out.

Cheers,

Ben