tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Julian C. Dunn" <jd...@verticalscope.com>
Subject Re: Solved! Tomcat on port 80 without root, on Linux
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:58:32 GMT
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Kwok Peng Tuck wrote:

> I was of the assumption that tomcat can run on port 80 without being
> root, using the same way as apache does that is with
> the user nobody. If that's true I don't see the need for anyone to
> modify the kernel.

Apache -does- run as root on port 80, but forks children to handle
incoming requests with the privileges of the local WWW user. So this isn't
a solution.

- Julian

--

Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc <jdunn@verticalscope.com>
Senior Software Developer, VerticalScope Inc.

"Windows NT encountered the following error:
The operation was completed successfully."