tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Chamberlain" <rich...@sunsetandlabrea.com>
Subject Re: form-login-config
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:51:55 GMT
Hello,

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:13:38 +0200, "Martin Jacobson"
<martin_j@libero.it> said:
> Richard Chamberlain wrote:
>
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > We do have it on pretty much every page. Once the user is logged the
> > form gets replaced with a kind of member control panel.
> >
> > If you look at slashdot.org they do a similar thing with a member login
> > on each page in the right column - it's doesn't take up too much real
> > estate.
> >
> > When I figured out how the form-login-config worked I realised I could
> > of course do it like you were suggesting, however I really would like
> > to get it working as is ideally - as that's how the html designed it.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >

> Hmm, tricky. Let's imagine that your login form posts to the member
> home
> page. Then, tomcat would re-direct to your login servlet. If this
> servlet had access to the user id & password fields already posted,
> then
> you could simply pass them directly on to j_security_check. The trouble
> is, I don't know whether this information is available, nor how you
> might access it, and I don't have time to RTFM for you. :-)
> If that doesn't work, then I suggest you write a filter that goes in
> front of every member page; this would either check that the user had
> already logged in, or would validate the login parameters.
>
> HTH
> Martin

Thanks.

I was hoping not to have to write anything :-( As I mentioned resin has
the functionality out of the box, so I was hoping that tomcat would do
a similar thing.

Obviously not... I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Thanks again,

Richard

--
http://fastmail.fm/ - The professional email service