tomcat-users mailing list archives

From puffm...@darksleep.com (Steven J. Owens)
Subject Re: Servlet multithreading design question
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:58:22 GMT
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 04:56:02PM +0930, Mathew Pole wrote:
> If I create classes similar to the following, then I suspect that I
> will run into multithreading issues, because OneServlet and
> TwoServlet will run in the same JVM? Is this correct?

     I think you're a bit confused, on three counts:

1) I suspect this question is probably more appropriate for a forum
like servlet-interest@java.sun.com, than tomcat-users.

2) I think you mean to have "value" be a class variable, in which case
your code wouldn't be thread safe, _if_ both servlets are deployed
inside the same web application.

3) It's not just the JVM, but also the class loaders that matters
here.  I do believe that each web application is supposed to run under
its own class loader.

Oh, and

4) SingleThreadModel is irrelevant to this question if you're using a
class variable, having it in your example just clutters up the
question.

     Good luck.  I strongly recommend that you get & read Hunter &
Crawford's _Java Servlet Programming_ (O'Reilly), not to mention Bruce
Eckel's _Thinking In Java_ (www.bruceeckel.com).

> public abstract class BaseServlet extends HttpServlet
>   implements SingleThreadModel
> {
>     int value;
> }
>
> public class OneServlet extends BaseServlet {
>   public void init (ServletConfig config) {
>     value = 1;
>   }
> }
>

> public class TwoServlet extends BaseServlet {
>   public void init (ServletConfig config) {
>     value = 2;
>   }
> }

Steven J. Owens