tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: Tomcat stops automatically
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:40:49 GMT
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:11:40AM -0000, Sujoy  Ghosh wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your help.As you said I have got only two logs to check
> jasper & servlet -- where there is no clue for this Tomcat
> stoppage.

I reckon there's vital logs full of informative error messages
*somewhere* :P If you installed Tomcat from an RPM then check the
/etc/init.d/tomcat script, and see where it redirects logs to. Possibly
/var/log/tomcat.log. Only once you can run a little JSP like <%
System.out.println("logs"); %> and see the output, can you claim you've
got all the logs, and without that you're just guessing.

> Meanwhile I checked the ps axw for java threads & found it more
> than 100 threads are running -- don't know whether this is causing
> the problem or not ?

Running 'ps axw | grep java' should show lots of lines mentioning Tomcat.
That's usual. Each Tomcat thread is mapped to a process.

> Can you pls suggest on this ? Or if I have to upgrade the Tomcat -
> which version to choose -- will Tomcat 4.0.4 tackle this.

Nothing wrong with 3.2.3, I've hosted lots of production sites on it.
FYI they'll probably be releasing 4.1 soon.

> In that case (few newbee questions)
> 1. how to configure a Virtual site under this ? FYI: I am running
> a virtual site (jsp page) configured in Apache & running at port
> 80, mapped to a virtual IP.

RTFM :) Basically you put a <Host> tag in server.xml and edit httpd.conf
to include the auto-generated mod_jk-auto.conf file.

> 2. In tomcat3.2.3 I used in httpd.conf file to Include
> /tomcat_home/conf/apache-tomcat.conf -- where in Tomcat 4 how to
> integrate this.

I see that in 4.0.4 they removed the example of how to use AJP1.3 :( I've
never gotten the newer Warp connector to work, but maybe you'll have
better luck.

> 3. Do I need to use mod_jk.so library to work this virtual
> mapping.

Either that or mod_warp.

Have fun, tackle one problem at a time, and read the docs :)

--Jeff