tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat stops automatically
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 05:25:30 GMT
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 04:50:43AM -0000, Sujoy  Ghosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Tomcat 3.2.3 on Linux 6.1 with JDK1.2.2 . Few
> websites are configured on this Apache web server. Recently I am
> experiencing a peculiar problem. Tomcat suddenly stops working &
> have no clue any of the logs for this stoppage. Everytime the
> server needs to reboot  as restarting Tomcat actually doesn't
> start the service.

'stops working' as in, the JVM crashes (do 'ps axw' and check for java
threads), or as in Tomcat 'hangs' and stops responding? Are you *sure*
you're capturing all the logs? IIRC, by default Tomcat 3.2.3 sends logs
to the console of the user who last restarted it, so you effectively lose
them when that user logs out. Anyway, if the JVM is crashing, upgrade the
JVM; if Tomcat is hanging, either fix your app :) or upgrade Tomcat.

--Jeff