tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jakob Praher <praher....@liwest.at>
Subject jmx and context management
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:03:10 GMT
hi all,

I'd like to use the JMX in Catalina and to be able to do Context
administration with the JMX Api.

After successfully building catalina from source with jmx support I
think it can be done within a priviledged servlet, which should have
access to the MBeanServer via the Context.getAttribute Method like this:

MBeanServer server = (MBeanServer )getServletContext( ).getAttribute(
"org.apache.catalina.MBeanServer" );

Though I have some background in JMX - I had a project, which used
standard mbeans to extend an application server - I find it quite
cumbersome to get working with the Catalina Mbeans. ( pretty much
indirection - commons-modeler and so on)

Perhaps some of you can help me with one of my questions:

- Is there a context MBean I can use out of the box?
- Which MBean, if available, should I use to add a context through JMX?
- Which MBean, if available, should I use to stop/start a context
through JMX?

- Can I update the server.xml from within JMX?
I mean is it possible to persist the settings changed through JMX?

- Has anybody used a JMX Connector/Adaptor for remote administration of
Catalina?

thank you in advance

-- Jakob