tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Robbins" <drobb...@drobbins.net>
Subject relative path/context problem
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:37:09 GMT
Hello All,

I'm seeing some really odd behaviour, I hope someone can tell me what i'm
doing wrong. I've written some jsp/servlet code with Forte 4.0, created a
war file and deployed it on Tomcat 4.0.4. ( I deployed it by putting the
war file in the webapps dir and restarting Tomcat) The war file was
my_stuff.war so the url is

http://localhost:8080/my_stuff/index.jsp

That works fine. As I started developing a little code I got to a point I
wanted a link back to the entry of the site, I thought

would do the job. But this link pointed to

http://localhost:8080/my_stuff/servlet/index.jsp

I was confused so to simplify things I went back to index.jsp and put a
link to itself in the file. When you mouse over the link, the address it
point to is

http://localhost:8080/index.jsp

Shouldn't Tomcat be prepending

http://localhost:8080/my_stuff

onto any link I specify like this

I'm playing around with what's called a model 2 architecture where a jsp
page calls a servlet which does some data processing and then forwards the
request to another jsp page and I'm not having any trouble with path's when
I forward the request, just with links in the jsp pages.

what's really maddening is that in playing around with this I've seen it
work correctly and seen it fail. Obviously I'm doing something boneheaded,
any ideas??

Dave