tomcat-users mailing list archives

From c.vi...@syborg.de
Subject RE: Transfer encoding chunked
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:08:56 GMT
Hi,

> You need to set the content-length of the response before it is
> committed (or have the response fit in the 4K buffer).

you're of course right about the transfer encoding. Unfortunately that
hasn't solved my original problem.

I have found the solution now.

I don't want to bore people so you can skip my mail because my problem is
solved.

But in case you are curious or very helpful, I'll explain a little bit more
of the problem, pherhaps somebody can enlighten me :-)

For an existing application I just changed the Tomcat version to 4.1.10.
I have used an Tomcat 3.2.x version for a long time and it was running just
fine.

After the tomcat version change (and that was all that changed), my
application showed a strange behaviour. There is a small part of the app
that simply delivers files.

When I requested a tif or a wav file, it doesn't worked anymore. After
sniffing my traffic I saw that there was no huge difference between the

The Transfer-encoding thing was solved by setting the content length (thanks
again to Remy!).
But the problem still resists.

What I have found out now is that it works again when I remove the
"Cache-Control: no-store" header field it works.

But that's what i can't understand: I've changed only Tomcat version,
browser, application and so on are still the same!

And even when I compare the traffic, there is only a small difference
between the header fields (Servlet-Engine: Tomcat... was replaced by Server:
Apache Coyote/1.0) and their order changed a little bit.
The big question is, what might cause the client (MS IE 5.0) to react on
such a different way?

Ok, that's almost a rhetorical question, but perhaps someone out there can
help me finding an answer.

Have a nice weekend!

Bye

Clemens

PS:

Here are the headers for the curious ones:

Tomcat 4.1.10

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
expires: Fr, 20-Sep-2002 11:39:22 GMT
Pragma: no-cache