tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Sales" <sa...@sealsco.com>
Subject Error during startup processing
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:48:49 GMT
When starting up tomcat, I get an error stating that it can't find the
HttpServlet class.  I've actually had this webapp up and running for a week,
and now, suddenly, it bombs tomcat.  I messed with the server.xml file a
little, but I changed it back to the way it was.  I don't see how the
server.xml file could make this happen, anyway.  The webapp just can't seem
to find the server/lib directory (I think?).

I can start up tomcat without this webapp and it works fine.  I know it's a
stupid mistake I've made, and it's killing me.  Has anyone had a similar
problem?  The stack trace is below.  Thanks.

Exception during startup processing
      8 java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
      9     at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
     10     at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:496)
     11     at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:117)
     12     at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
     13     at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$300(URLClassLoader.java:69)
     14     at
java.net.URLClassLoader$ClassFinder.run(URLClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
     15     at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
     16     at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
     17     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled
Code))
     18     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled
Code))
     19     at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:381)
     20     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:257)
     21     at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1340)
     22     at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1274)
     23     at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
     24     at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:496)
     25     at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:117)
     26     at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal(WebappClassLo
ader.java:1664)
     27     at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:953)
     28     at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1394)
     29     at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1274)
     30     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:87
4)
     31     at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:813)