tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Hamilton" <>
Subject Tomcat4-4.1.10 Startup Issue (LINUX)
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:47:48 GMT

I've loaded java from the binary install application for j2sdk from the site. I've modified the /etc/profile to include the
CLASSPATH listed below.
In a directory with three rpms:
I've issued the following command.
rpm -i *.rpm
Results in an installation without errors given.

I've created the /etc/java.conf with the line:
/usr/java/bin is the bin directory from the jdk that contains java,
javac and the rest of the binaries for the jdk. /usr/java/lib/ext
contains the .jar files distributed with the jdk and jre.

When issuing the command 'tomcat4 run' the error below is generated. To
me there seem to be two problems: 1) "ERROR reading
/var/tomcat4/conf/server.xml". I've made sure that the tomcat4 user owns
the files in /var/tomcat4 and /etc/tomcat4 - besides file permissions
what does tomcat need to read the file? 2) The remaining portion of the
error seems to indicate something in the startup of Catalina cannot find
a class or a file that is apparently critical to a smooth launch.

Are there additional files to modify besides:

running "nmap -p 8000-9000 localhost" produces no open ports at various
points during the pause (about 5 seconds) before the errors are

I know next to nothing about java although in the last few days I've
read through the user archives and have found messages that point to
similar problems on a win32 platform. The results of those posting are
unsolved. I'm hoping this is a configuration issue that I'm just not
getting straight. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LINUX Version = RedHat 7.2 (SMP)

java version "1.4.0_01"
Location of java = /usr/java/bin/java
Location of javac = /usr/java/bin/javac

Tomcat4 version = 4.1.10
JAVA_HOME = /usr/java
CATALINA_HOME = /var/tomcat4
CLASSPATH = /usr/java/bin:/usr/java/lib/ext:/var/tomcat4/common/lib

\[system]# tomcat4 run
\Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
\Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
\Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
\Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java
\ERROR reading /var/tomcat4/conf/server.xml
\At Line 18 /Server/Listener/
\className=org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener debug=0
\Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
\        at$
\        at Method)
\        at
\        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(