tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Rometsch" <ben.romet...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Best way to redeploy a war file?
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:41:51 GMT
Hi There,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I'm running tomcat 4.0 in
production and looking to move up to 4.1. Can someone explain the
simplest and least intrusive method of redeploying a war file to update
an application?

At the moment my method (in 4.0) is:

- Remove /webapps/app.war
- Upload new app.war to /webapps
- Shutdown tomcat
- rm -Rf webapps/app
- Startup tomcat

Which all seems a bit over the top. Is there a simpler method that does
not involve taking tomcat down?

In 4.1, I've tried using the http manager app to undeploy and then
redeploy the application, but the undeploy does not seem to work. I
always get the error:

	FAIL - Cannot remove document base for path /outreach

Is this a bug? I've tried it on the /examples app as well and I get the
same error.

Many thanks in advance,
Ben Rometsch