tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christian J. Dechery" <christ...@finep.gov.br>
Subject problems with Connections
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:01:04 GMT
I have this big problem handling Oracle Connecions...

something goes wrong... I have tons of classes called DAO"Something"... and a class called
DAO which provides the Connection... the DAO*s requests the Connection from DAO and uses it,
but there is no method to close the connection since it is used by several methods that run
queries (selects and updates)...

I don't know what goes wrong... but after some time of using the applicatiob the maximum number
of cursors exceeds and the whole application stops, cuz no more queries will run... and I
am closing ALL ResultSets and Statements on the "finally" block of EVERY query...

this happend when I dispense one Connection to several classes, thus achieving some kind of
sharing... if I turn that sharing off - every class will get an exclusive Connection, the
problem changes... now instead of the maximum number of cursors exceeding, I get maximum number
of processes (connections)...

the connections (nor the cursors for that matter) are getting closed... I even tried placing
a con.close() on the finalize() method of the DAO*s... but that didn't work... I get an IOException:
socket closed...

At the Oracle support service, I saw that a lot of people has the exact same problem..

does anyone knows how to solve this???

thanks

btw: I have a "solution" working now... I changed the code of my DAO*s, so that every method
that runs a query, requests a connection, than closes it... but that makes some parts of the
application veeeeeeeeery slow...

.:| Christian J. Dechery
.:| FINEP - Depto. de Sistemas
.:| christian@finep.gov.br