tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: How close 'till release?
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:11:52 GMT
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Wills, Mike N. (TC) wrote:
[ ... ]
> > I won't install 4.1 on our production
> > system until it has gone to release.
>
> I know lots of IT folks who follow this policy, but I have to smile
> when people say it.  Given the above release policy, think about
> what you'd be doing if 4.1.9 had been voted as "release" quality
> instead of "beta" quality.  You'd have installed it, right?  And it
> would have been *exactly* the same code ...

Yeah, but the vote of "release" vs. "beta" is not arbitrary -- it
reflects the quality of the code.  I'd hope people don't vote based on
getting people to use the code, rather than on their perception of the
quality of the code.

> The best way for Tomcat *users* to help get Tomcat 4.1 to general
> release state is trying it on your real apps, and reporting bugs so
> we can swat them.

Again, it's a bit of a circular/chicken-egg problem.

I mean, I understand (and sympathize with what you're saying), but I
also understand the position of those who want to wait until there's
"release"-quality code available.  I mean, what will the typical
manager say after the production system breaks down and you tell them
that you went with "beta"-quality code instead of "release"-quality
code.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)