tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: mod_webapp or perhaps apache question
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:53:18 GMT
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Markus Bengts wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 rsequeira@transentric.com wrote:
>
> > If "webmail" isn't a directory under "qvdintra", then I don't see a
> > problem.
>
> webmail is not under qvdintra. It is possible to use it like this with
> "servlet/" or "_/" or some other extra string in the url-path to every
> servlet. I just don't want to have something extra in the path to
> servlets.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure you're going to be able to do that.
Because when you give WebAppDeploy the URL pattern "/", you're
effectively telling it that Apache should pass everything to Tomcat.
I'm not sure you can make it do "everything but this one thing".  You
might have to put something there, like "/qvdintra" (and then that has
to be included in every URL).

One thing, my understanding is that when you use mod_webapp to connect
Apache to Tomcat, it passes every URL under the specified URL (in a
WebAppDeploy) to Tomcat, even static content.  But supposedly with
mod_jk you have finer grain control, and it allows you to have Apache
handle static content within a Tomcat context (although I'm not sure I
fully understand how it does that, because there are things for which
it isn't obvious from just the URL whether it's static or dynamic
content).  Anyway, someone suggested using mod_jk instead of
mod_webapp.  You might try that to see if it allows you to do what you
want.

> > On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 rsequeira@transentric.com wrote:
> >

> > > What's the directory layout? Is "qvdintra" a directory?
> >
> > > The WebAppDeploy syntax is:
> > >
> > > WebAppDeploy <application_name> <connection_name> <url_path>
> >
> > qvdintra is an application name which is the same as the directory present
> > under my "webapps" directory. The connection works fine. My problem is
> > that the webmail should be served by apache and everything else by tomcat.
> >
> > I want to have:
> >
> >              WebAppDeploy qvdintra         defConn                       /
> >
> > But still I need to have apache serving urls that have /webmail in the
> > beginning of the path. (The webmail application is written in php.)
> >

> > > In my apache conf I have these lines for a virtual host:
> > >
> > >     #
> > >     Alias /webmail /home/qvd/www/webmail
> > >     # Tomcat configurations
> > >     <IfModule mod_webapp.c>
> > >         WebAppDeploy qvdintra   defConn         /_
> > >     </IfModule>
> > >
> > > I don't want to have "_/" in my servlet urls, but if I remove '_' my
> > > webmail stops working. I want to send everything else to tomcat except
> > for
> > > urls with "/webmail" in the beginning of the path.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me with this configuration? I thought the alias before
> > the
> > > WebAppDeploy would help, but it seems that order doesn't matter here.
> > >

> >        Markus
>

> --

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer