tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jeff.guttada...@abbott.com
Subject OT: howto avoid overuse of session object?
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:13:30 GMT
This is sort of off-topic, but I don't know of a better forum targeting Java
web/servlet programming.  If anyone does know of one, could you let me know?

I'm basically wondering if others have found effective ways to avoid the
tempting but bad practice of loading up the session with all sorts of
attributes.  I often find myself needing some Bean or other object for maybe 2
or 3 requests, and, rack my brains as I may for an elegant way of passing the
object along without putting it in the session, I usually end up with nothing
more than a headache and 1 more attribute in my session.  :(  I'm developing
with an MVC approach, with Struts for more recently developed apps and a
similar custom framework for our older apps, but I just can't seem to see a
way to get around this problem.  I would love it if there were an object like
a thisRequestAndTheNextOne object, where attributes would stick around for the
current request and subsequent request, and then the controller could get
objects from the previous request and determine if it should put them in the
new thisRequestAndTheNextOne object for the current request.  I don't know if
that makes sense to anyone else, but, nevertheless, does anyone have any ideas
to do what I'm trying to do?

Does anyone else feel my pain?  ;)

Thanks,
-Jeff