tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jeff.guttada...@abbott.com
Subject Re: howto avoid overuse of session object?
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 20:32:48 GMT

Thanks, Cédric and Peter Lin, for your responses.  Both of you seem to be
saying that, instead of storing large objects in the session object, I should
be storing them in the application object (ServletContext).  I find this to be
rather confusing.  It seems like the overhead involved in storing things in
the application object would be much greater than storing things in the
session object.  At least the session objects would eventually die when
sessions time out or they are invalidated by the web app, and the space they
were using could then be garbage collected.  But the application objects would
live as long as the server is up, and I would think would eventually consume
memory moreso than using the session would.  Also, there would be a extra
level of complexity involved with maintaining the association between the
objects in the application object and their respective sessions.  Am I unclear
on the concept, or is there something else that I'm not understanding?

Thanks,
-Jeff

                    Cédric Viaud

                    <cedric.viaud@matra        To:     "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    si-tls.fr>                 cc:

                                               Subject:     Re: howto avoid overuse of session
object?
                    08/01/02 11:30 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "Tomcat Users List"

Hi,

FIRST

For non-specific Tomcat questions, it exists :
SERVLET-INTEREST@JAVA.SUN.COM
There's also an other one wich is JSP oriented.

SECOND

All best practice i know says that you must minimize the ammount of data
stored in the session. So, the traditional approach of this problem is to
only store the user-id (simple type) in the session. All over session
informations (a class containing all required informations) are stored in
the servlet context.

Praticaly, on the request you get the user id from the user session. Next
you use this Id to get the "user information obect" from the servlet
context.

This is certainly deceiving, but this is the way ...

Maybe someone knows better practice ?

Regards,

    Cédric