tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adam W. Montville" <>
Subject JSP vs. Servlet Paths
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 06:00:44 GMT
Hi all,

I'm new to this list and really need some help.  Let me frame the scenario:

I have CATALINA_HOME set to C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4.
The rest of the directory structure (and file locations) is as follows:

      +-- webapps
             +-- demo
                   +-- jsp
                   +-- WEB-INF
                          +-- classes

The "classes" directory contains MyServlet.class, WEB-INF contains web.xml,
"jsp" contains both SourceJsp.jsp and TargetJsp.jsp.

SourceJsp.jsp displays a submit button, which then calls TargetJsp.jsp,
i.e., it contains the line "<FORM METHOD="POST"
ACTION="/demo/jsp/TargetJsp.jsp">".  I then have a Servlet,
that also calls TargetJsp.jsp. contains the line
(req, resp)".

Please pay attention to the path difference between these two calls.
SourceJsp.jsp and both "invoke" the same TargetJsp.jsp,
however, the paths are different: SourceJsp.jsp = /demo/jsp/TargetJsp.jsp; = /jsp/TargetJsp.jsp.

I need to understand why this must be the case.  What is the difference
between a JSP invoking a JSP and a Servlet invoking a JSP with regard to the
paths required for such invocation?

Thank you for your help!  I appreciate it!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message