tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Short, Dave" <dave.sh...@pfizer.com>
Subject RE: Does closing a Connection variable and setting it to null clo se all of the ResultSet and Statements?
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:08:58 GMT
By closing you mean set the ResultSet and Statement objects to null -
correct?

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: August 27, 2002 9:06 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Does closing a Connection variable and setting it to null
close all of the ResultSet and Statements?

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Tim Funk wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:03:18 -0400
> From: Tim Funk <funkman@joedog.org>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Does closing a Connection variable and setting it to null
>     close all of the ResultSet and Statements?
>
> It is not requried to close ResultSets, Statements, etc if you close the
> connection. (I think) The spec says if you close a connection - all
> associated resources for that connection will also be closed.

That's what the spec says, but relying on it is being awfully trusting of
JDBC driver developers to do the right thing.  A little paranoia here
(i.e.  close the result sets and statements yourself) goes a long way
towards making your apps more reliable.

Craig

> If you are using a pool - the pool manager *should* be obeying this
> principal too.
>
> Michael Nicholson wrote:
> > Well, I guess the subject line says it all.  I'm having memory issues,
and having read the OOM error messages on the list, I've checked and found
some open and not being closed connections, so I'm going back and closing
them all.  The question is do I need to explicitly close/dereference (set to
null) all statements and recordsets too?  Right now the system takes about
4% of my available memory just for the beans in question, so I'm trying to
minimize what I store so that I could conceptually have more than one user.