tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Modify the default JVM settings to improve Tomcat performance
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:43:22 GMT
Hi,
What version of tomcat are you using?

Regardless, you say that "I don't know Java very good and I don't
understand how modify JVM parameters."  And yet you seem convinced that
you need to modify your JVM parameters?  That kind of seems like a
recipe for a disaster.

I will say this: you can gain a *ton* from properly tuning your JVM
runtime options.  However, you need to know your application really
well, preferably profile it on an ongoing basis.  You need to have a
staging or test environment that is comparable to your production
environment in scale, computing power, OS level and patches, JDK
version, etc.  That's the only way to validate these runtime option
changes.

Or... You could experiment and see what happens ;)  All the options are
available at:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/performance/index.html
Check out the VM options page and the performance and scalability guide.

For tomcat 4.x, you can set these options in a number of places.  A good
one to start with is the $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh (or atalina.bat
if running on windows) file as your JAVA_OPTS variable.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Apache.