tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: jsp in packages
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:08:33 GMT
Hi,
Time-saver: I don't have an answer to your questions in this message.

>Q2. I have written a static method in one jsp page. I want to call
this
>method in another jsp page. How to do it? I do not want to take this
method
>out from the jsp and put into a class (.java) and use it in both the
jsp
>files.

Why not put in a Java file?  JSPs are not meant for programming.  When
you start getting into static methods containing reusable functionality,
it sounds like you're stepping out of pure JSP development and into the
world of bean libraries if not servlets.  The right approach for Q2
above seems to be to package the common method in a bean called by both
JSP pages, or a servlet (maybe a filter?) connected to both, depending
on what the common code does.

Just my $0.02, IMHO...

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics