tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Irina Lishchenko <i...@lishchenko.de>
Subject Re: Specifying location of tomcat-users.xml
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:53:34 GMT
On Tuesday 20 August 2002 17:32, you wrote:
> I'm running tomcat from within IDEA, and I'm using the -config command
> line parameter to tell tomcat where my server.xml file is located (in my
> project directory).  But tomcat is looking for tomcat-users.xml in the
> CATALINA_HOME directory.  Is there a command to specify a conf directory
> other than CATALINA_HOME?

I have not understood what you mean by IDEA but usually you specify the
address of tomcat-users.xml in the Realm entry of your server.xml file.
Default this look like
that means that default pathname for tomcat-users.xml is equal
conf/tomcat-users.xml in CATALINA_HOME.

But according to documentation you can specify another location of this file
as it is shown below
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm"
pathname="/path/to/your/tomcat-users.xml/file"/>

Read documentation page
http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/config/realm.html

> My motivation is I'd like to keep all the configuration files in my
> project directory structure, that way I'm not dependent on the tomcat
> installation and config files.

If I remember right Tomcat4.1.x allows to specify special context
configuration files which can be located in project directory structure as
you name it, for each application own context configuration file where
whithin Context entry you can specify Realm for this application

My english is not so good but hope it is understandable and you have some
matherial to explore

ilis